Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jivamukti in NYC

How time flies...
Last week at this time I was in New York City with my husband Corey and our friends Meg and Tommy. We have gone every year for the last 6 years and we always have a great time. Every trip is so different from the last.

This time Meg and I decided to fore go our usual spa pedicure to go to yoga at Jivamukti instead. We cameback to the hotel early last Thursday night (12:30am) to get rested up. When the alarm went off at 6am, I was really questioning our decision but after we got up and moving, it was fine. Walking through the streets of New York at that hour is pretty peaceful really. That city changes by the hour and I loved walking to class instead of getting in a car and driving. That was centering in itself. As soon as you enter the studio, it is so obvious that you are someplace very special. This was a yoga experience like no other I have had before. Our instructor (Liz) was a cosmic dynamo. The first thing she said to us was, "At Jivamukti, we are all about pulling you out of your comfort zone and making you stretch." Big red flag for me. I like my comfort zone. It's comfortable...She placed candles in front of each of our mats and we began the class with chanting (new to me). As we were warming up, she came around to each of us and rubbed China Gel (similar to Tiger Balm) on our back and shoulders which was very warming. The next 45 minutes were phenomenal. High energy, intense and raw (in a good way). Liz was so energetic and dynamic and at no time during the class did she not have her hands on someone giving incredible adjustments. Clearly she was born to do this and I was so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to practice with her. She ended the class with a mini scalp and neck massage with a lavender oil. We did not want to leave and I had a contented smile on my face for the rest of the day. That will definately be a part of our NYC trip from now on. Aside from the obvious physical benefits of the class, it was good for me to do this. To be pulled out of my comfort zone, to experience something different and love it was needed. Now me and my newly expanded comfort zone are ready for the next challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment