Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Lane!

Today you are 12. I can hardly believe it Lane. Seems like yesterday this was you....


And now....


You have grown into an exceptional human being. Kind and gentle with a fierce wit and wisdom that I have seldom seen in grown ups. Sometimes I look at you and still see that wee boy that you were. It could be a glance you shoot my way or something you say that reminds me that even though you are almost as big as me that you are still a boy. But, if I am honest there are days when I look a you and squint my eyes really tight and I can already see the man you will be. You are honest, fair and just and Lane the way you think about things....really think about them amazes and delights me. The way you devour whatever subject interests you is fascinating. Never lose that. One of my recent favorite moments was watching the debate with you. I couldn't believe it when you asked to stay up and watch it and I almost said no until I realized that at age 11 I would have no sooner asked to watch a Presidential debate as to have a dinner made up of nothing but liver and onions. Watching it with you and listening to your comments was eye-opening and quite funny. You observations were thoughtful, insightful and wise. You know that Meg is sure that you will be the President one day (she has been saying that since you were 7) and watching that debate and listening to you I couldn't help but wonder myself. Personally, I think you are destined for far greater things than that. You will make a difference whatever it is you decide to do. People listen to you already. They respect you and what you have to say. You make being incredibly smart look wickedly cool baby. So to say that I am proud of you doesn't even come close. I can't begin to find words that are adequate to describe what it has meant to me to have you in my life. You made me a Mom and you made us a family on October 24th, 1996. Thank you. Thank you for all the beautiful gifts you have given me every day since then by just being you.
Sidebar: You just woke up (7:15am). Why do you get up early on the days when you can sleep late and on the mornings you need to be up I need a bull horn to raise you? You did say something funny though when I was giving you a hug. You said, "It's the perfect day for my birthday. When I first opened my eyes and looked out the window, the sky was purple, which was my old favorite color, and when I looked again it was blue which is my new favorite color AND we don't have to go to school today."

Happy Birthday my love. I hope your day is all you want it to be. I love you more than I can say so I will close this post with what we started saying to each other when you were 2.
"Buddies forever...pinky promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment